Friday, September 21, 2007

The Age-Old Question...

Why is it that when you have so much of one thing, you ignore it? And when it is gone, you want it so bad? To rephrase, why do humans want what they do not have?

I ask the question because I was surprised to have eaten ten mini chocolates today plus some M&Ms.

Just to give a brief background, an officemate of mine recently won a trip for three to NYC. As a coming home present to our team, she bought a variety pack of Mars mini chocolates (Snickers, Milky Way, Twix, and 3 Musketeers)and an XXL bag of M&Ms dark chocolate candies. I had some. And then some more.

To tell the truth, my sisters and I are very picky with food. And desserts are not an exception. We prefer the more popular brands -also because they have better quality. Since we have tried some of the best ones within our reach, our standards are upped. Hershey's Kisses which we rarely had when we were younger are now something ignored. We also used to love donuts (specifically, choco butternut) but because there are more options now and for health reasons, we do not even dare have a bite of this sinful delight.

Going back, if those chocolates were at home, it would not be moved from it's place in the fridge until before they expire and maybe even when they have gone bad already which is when we throw them away.

Why the difference in behavior? (Psychologists, please help!)

See our fridge?

What a collection! (I am sure you have yours too!)

I predict my sister plans on making homemade icecream this weekend.(Proof:the ice cream maker ready for action!)

I am never going hungry.

By the way, those cold treats were something my sisters insisted on buying and which I also wanted to buy. And now, after a month or two, they still have not been fully consumed. Those chocolates would soon be one year tenants inside our chiller.

We have better kinds of chocolates at home which we barely touch. How is it that I ate ten at the office today? Surely not because of stress.

I hope you do not think I am a shallow person coming up with this long entry just because of food. The question definitely applies to life in general. I do not wish to elaborate. You can do it on your own.

And so, I come up with an answer to my own question. Why is it that when you have so much of one thing, you ignore it? And when it is gone, you want it so bad?? Why do men want what they do not have?

I believe everybody is guilty of not living the moment because we are either too busy dwelling with what cannot be undone or planning for the future. When the "present" is gone, that is when we realize what we lost and then we want it back. Same with people. I am sure there is a long list of people with whom you want to spend some time, if only for one more day, or hour.

Going back with the chocolates, the more probable reason is with the human nature that men are hard to satisfy. We cannot be content with what we have and so wish for something more and something we see in other people (jealousy, envy). We want security, security that we have something at home which we can have when we want it and how we want it.

I hope I made sense.

No comments: