Saturday, December 1, 2007

Is My Life at Risk?

Although I do not imagine myself to stay on my current job in the long run(2 years at most), I was a bit alarmed after I read an article in CNN linking night job with increasing the risk of cancer.

First of all, I work as a Business Process Analyst for Management Reporting in Citibank for the North America region. Given that, for month-end reporting on the first few business days of the month, we have to work on a night shift to meet our internal clients' demands.

Anyway, from what I read, it seems that there are more recent evidence showing that men/women are more likely to develop prostate/breast cancer from working in a graveyard shift.

Why? One factor is that working on an opposite shift disrupts the body clock and melatonin, a cancer suppressant, is usually produced overnight. Working overnight also lowers the immune system's defense.

It is interesting to learn that melatonin is produced in the dark so people who work on these shifts are advised to sleep in a dark room when they get off work during the day to keep the body from the risk of cancer.

Related link:http://edition.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/11/29/night.shift.cancer.ap/index.html

No comments: