Sunday, October 21, 2007

Do Not Torture My Chicken!

Pinikpikang manok. I was reminded of the dish on a recent article by MarketManila and have heard about it previously on TV featured on some documentary. For those who are not familiar with the delicacy, see below description/procedure from edwink:

"A delicacy to the Igorot (local tribes men) the "pinikpikang manok" is prepared by hitting a live chicken with a small stick again and again until it dies. Then it is roasted over open fire, and it's feathers plucked by hand. Roasted until it turns a bit brown, they cook it in different ways "Tinola" boiled in soup with ginger or "Adobo" cooked in soy sauce. They say the pinikpikang manok is very tasty. I never tried it. Hehehe... ;) "

If this is the way it is prepared, then I do not want to eat pinikpikang manok (or baboy, baka, etc.) no matter how exotic and delicious they say it is particularly because of the distinct taste and blackened meat from beating. No to animal cruelty! It is hard itself to be a vegan, so I allow myself to eat some fish and meat. But to the extent of torturing these animals to death just to achieve a taste is going overboard already.

No comments: